Search Engine Marketing is commonly used to describe paid search activities and will often sit side by side with Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) under the umbrella term of ‘Search Marketing’. SEM encompasses all elements of paid search activity including:
- Paid search ads
- Paid search advertising
- PPC (pay per click)
- PPC (pay per call) – this is a relatively new terms when ads typically served to a mobile device allow a user to call straight through from the ad.
- CPC (cost per click)
- CPM (cost per thousand impressions)
Whereas search engine optimisation is seen as a mid to long terms strategy, SEM can deliver immediate results and start driving relevant traffic to your site with the click of a button. You can, if you have the budget, compete with huge global organisations for specific keywords and appear at the top of Google search results pages as the number one advert. That’s pretty powerful stuff. The problem is, once you stop paying, you stop ranking and your budget can quickly get consumed if you target the wrong keywords or you don’t effectively manage your keywords account.
Google Adwords is the biggest and most popular paid advertising platform followed by Bing Ads and all offer their own guides to getting started. Anyone with a Google account can set up an Adwords campaign, however managing an account effectively can be both time consuming and expensive. That’s where we come in.
We have an experienced team of experts when it comes to managing Google Adwords campaigns and any paid search campaigns for that matter. We can add real value to your campaign based on our past experiences and the way we set up and monitor your campaign. Here are just a few of the steps that set us apart:
- Detailed keyword research – as with SEO, carrying out detailed keyword research is crucial to the success of your paid search campaign. You need to target those keywords that will drive the most relevant traffic to your site, not high volumes of people who are unlikely to convert.
- 24 hour management – unlike some agencies, we don’t just work on your account from 9-5 every day. We have the capability to monitor your campaign around the clock so if a news story breaks on the other side of the world whilst you sleep, we’re able to adjust your campaign to take advantage of start driving traffic before you even wake up.
- On-going improvements – managing your account 24/7 allows us to consistently monitor the performance of keywords and adjust your campaign accordingly. If a specific term is not performing, we will pull it and push the budget to terms that are performing.
- Detailed reporting – transparency is important to us so we report back to you each month or each week in a way that’s easy for you to understand. We cut out the jargon and give you the information you need – the impact on your bottom line.
- Conversion review – a key part of a successful search campaign is ensuring the pages that you are driving traffic to are set up to convert. There is no point in setting up a great search campaign only to deliver a terrible experience once a user click on the ad so we make sure your site is optimised for conversion before the campaign goes live.
Although SEM can deliver instant results and drive converting traffic to your site, we prefer not to look at SEM in isolation. It is important to consider the long term goal and implement a solid SEM strategy alongside your SEO activity. That way, you get the best of both worlds – a strong organic presence and the ability to compete with the big boys when it comes to paid search.